Saturday, October 20, 2007

The religious left

I'm not a religious person. I went to Sunday school for about 2 weeks but they couldn't hold me. I kept sneaking out on the march from the synagogue back to the classroom . I'd hide out in the village drug store until car pool came to pick me up. Quite a scam and statement early on about my religious beliefs. Well beliefs might be too profound a word for a 12 year old girl , I just didn't like it.

Home life wasn't exactly a biblical experience either, we celebrated Christmas and Hannukah. I was partial to the former as the gifts were so much better and I liked openning them in bulk as opposed to one night at a time. My dad , not being very religious himself, was happy to stop paying for Sunday school and especially the building fund at the temple.

College pulled me even farther away from religion, and truthfully I was convinced I was never going to reconsider/re-exam any of it. I was a girl of the sexual revolution, a one night stand wasn't the sign of a "slut" it was a sign of the times. It meant nothing or it meant everything, I didn't care. "Had a great time, call me",or "I was high, good-bye" . I could handle it. And men are simple folk when they're young and horney, sex was a sure way to someone's heart,; they wanted strings/commitment/wife/children. It was definitely a mating instinct; perpetuating the species and all that. Quite honestly, I rarely got to know someone first, that came later or not at all. I must sound like a cold hearted bitch or sexual predator, but hold on , there's a bait and switch.

Flash forward 30 years and I've become a "born again virgin". I believe, I believe! And my best advice to single women over 50 is to join this church. I have divorced male friends, and bless their hearts, they tell me everything. I have insider information and now I'm telling you... they may be horney but they do not want strings/commitment/wife. This is important, listen up! They just want to have a date and get laid. Getting a man's attention via sex is a very short term device. I've heard first hand what happens, "Why is she still calling me? I told her I'm seeing other women. She always starts crying." "Oh, I knew I wasn't going to see her again, but I had sex with her". " Sue's nice, but Alice called, and she invited me over,so I'm going". I don't know about you but this makes me a little nervous. If you can honestly say and I mean HONESTLY that having sex on date one, two, three means NOTHING to you,... no tears, no "why didn't he call?" no obsessing over every word you said/he said , then by all means have at it. I can't. Oh, it's not for religious reasons, I'd still ditch Sunday school, but I finally figured out having sex really is an emotional attachment as well as physical fun. I'm not ready to cry over a man I just met and fantasized was "perfect", or drive my girlfiends crazy agonizing over why he hasn't called. That feels like shit and I can't afford therapy. I want to know more about Mr. Perfect and I'm betting if I don't have sex with him, he'll want to know more about me.
That ends our prayer service for today. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you sister! I truly believe in facts, science, proof that things did happen, will happen and how it’s going to happen. I lived in Israel, the holy grounds of religions; did I go to temple in Israel? Not at all, I realized that I was one of two Jews who were volunteers in the kibbutz, which was a good thing; I did not have to go thru the troubles or understanding Yiddish or even try to answer a question about Jewish religion that I really didn’t know. My memory of Israel is simple, Worked hard, smoked Hashish and had sex, oh and of course drank lots of cheap Russian vodka, Israeli wine is horrendous and if it was the only thing we had to drink I just forgot about the alcohol and got laid. I used to call myself an international slut, ok maybe I was not that bad, or was I? One thing I learned about having sex with men, all kinds of men, young, old, Europeans, South Africans, Scandinavians, Australian and of course Mexicans and good ole American white men was that I really liked women, I never had problem with sex of any kind with men, I just felt more like myself with women, and thank goodness I came to my senses and went after what and who I really am. I was repressed because of the religious society that condemned same sex, and at the same time they truly believe in love, but THEIR kind of love not just what the word love means. Religion to me doesn’t make sense. For starters, apparently I live in sin because I am a Jewish Lesbian I’ve heard all kinds of derogatory names that go along with it, I’ve been told that because I do not take Jesus into my life and because I am not a straight woman I am going to hell, and then from the Jews I get “your last name is Levy, and you are a women, you MUST PROCREATE, make babies that are Levy’s ” OY VEY! What makes it odd is that the people who make those statements are religious, they go to Church and Temple, apparently they have read the bible but they don’t understand a word it says, specially the main stuff, such as “only God can JUDGE” or “Being gay is not a sin, it becomes a sin when you have sex without being married or with out the consent of God” Which by the way this religious rule also applies to straight people. So who is more of a sinner, the straight person who goes out, has few drinks and gets laid by whom ever, or the lesbian who walks into a bar and ends up going to some chicks home and screwing all night long? Here is my felling on this, Gay’s are NOT allowed to marry according to the MEN who run this country, we can’t do anything about it but keep fighting for our rights, however straight people CAN MARRY with no problem, hell you can go to Vegas, get married, fuck all night long and then get the marriage annulled the next day (or next week if you feel like screwing all week long) God gave the consent the moment you said “I DO”, I wish I could say “I got married legally so now I can make love to my wife as often as we want, so get off my case, here is the signed paper”. It will happen some day.

I do have my own faith, I believe that good people can be my friends and I stay away from bad people, I believe that God doesn’t give you things or help YOU do things, I am the architect of my own destiny, if I wanted to be an international slut (which I was) it was my decision, I am who I am and got to where I am not because of a ‘higher power” but because of my own empowerment. God didn’t make me who I am, a 16 years old girl screwed a 20 year old boy and their sperm and egg gave me life, and what really pisses me off is that religious followers say that “God is good, God is great” but then they chant “MI CULPA, MI CULPA, MI CULPA”. That sounds like the typical Jewish Mother’s guilt, not God’s, but then again, Christianity came way after Judaism, so is God a Jewish mother to all?. Oy vey!.

The next time someone touches my back and says “your back is getting dry (cos I am a Mexican), it’s not Adam and Steve but Adam and Eve and you need to come to my church and take Jesus into your heart” I will gladly say “I was born in Los Angeles California and biologically I have 0.10% American Indian blood flowing thru my veins and by the way, God didn’t make Adam, Steve, Eve or Jane, evolution made men and women and every living thing in earth and by the way, I married my wife for love not for the sake a fucking piece of paper, and everyday I will fight to have as equal rights as anyone in this country, fuck religion just give me my legal rights!

I saw a sign one day that said “GOD, PLEASE SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS”

So raise your hands and say “WHERE IS THE VODKA!” after all, accordingto some, God made potatoes.

Peace Please
Jenny

Anonymous said...

I met a religious woman about a year and a half ago. While we were making out in a parking lot at the end of our first date she told me that she had a six-date rule. What's that, I asked. She told me that she never has sex with a man until the sixth date. I told her she was out of luck as I had a ten date rule and that she would just have to wait for four more dates before getting me in the sack. She looked very puzzled. Praise the Lord(ess)