Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Good morning Iraq!

I need a political moment. WAKE UP THERE'S A WAR GOING ON! Have we become immune to the news from Iraq? According to Tom Friedman this morning in the New York Times, the Beltway has. Is it too boring? Are we all suffering from ADD? Too busy ordering coffee? (Which I've noticed takes signficant time out of the day). Too worried about being fat? Too consumed with buying SUVs with gas mileage ratings that hold us permanently hostage to middle eastern oil? This is disappointing to me. I'm disappointing to me. I'm not doing anything either, except arguing with Republicans at parties or anywhere I can corner one. And I've noticed our newly elected Democratic Congressmen aren't doing much either; chickens! The Bush boys aka the gang that couldn't shoot straight have 15 more months in office, count them and feel afraid, feel very afraid. Can you say "tactical nuclear strike on Iran?" Everyone better duck.

I'm going to try and not get too hostile, because I won't be signing up for a course in anger management anytime soon, but rest assured I am angry. I think there is one way to end the war in Iraq quickly. Let's make this an equal opportunity event, the national attention deficit disorder would disappear almost over night. Bring back the draft. Does the war feel a little closer to home now? Our entitled children who grew up with cars, cell phones, designer gym shoes, and organic vegetables will be going straight from college into the armed forces. Still love this war? Still worried about the fate of the Sunnis? Perhaps the President was hasty with an invasion? Feel like shopping for a car with better gas mileage? Oh and let's not forget "equal opportunity" could mean women also. Can you picture the Bush twins in camouflage fatigues? I don''t think green is Jenna's color, do you? Sorry sweetie, Kate Spade shoes are not standard military issue. Excuse me Mr. Vice President, don't you have a daughter draft age? How about you Paul Wolfowitz or William Kristol gotta sacrificial son or daughter? Donald Rumsfeld where ever you're hiding perhaps you'd like to loan us a grandchild or two.

Wasn't the spin , that we're fighting it there so we don't have to fight it here? What if everyone draft age had to fight it there? What then? Are you awake now?

No comments: