Saturday, October 6, 2007

Heaven, the new singles bar

"I'm going to meet a really cute guy in heaven", said Tina Fey on "30 Rock" Wednesday night. Ok, so now I'm quoting tv characters, but maybe they are my new role models. Afterall, I don't want to fashion myself after George Bush; the English major in me just can't make that leap of faith, and I'm historically a war protestor. ( btw as a Jew I'm very disappointed in you William Kristol, Richard Pearl and Paul Wolfowitz). Could it be Tina was onto something, maybe heaven is the new singles scene? Perhaps this is the fate of the baby boomer generation as just maybe we were too quick to pull the divorce trigger.

Our parents stuck it out, and even if they were miserable, and bitched and moaned about each other, they had each other until the end. They didn't take personal happiness as seriously or perhaps selfishly as we did. They remembered the "for better or for worse" part of the ceremony. Me, I have no recall. No sooner did the words come out of my mouth, TWICE, than I was wondering if I really was happy. My definition of "worse" was probably too liberal. Divorce had become a socially acceptable option and as cavalierly as I chose the sun roof option on my car I chose divorce . Now I'm wondering if I'll meet the next husband in heaven? I really should look up "worse" in the dictionary before I even go on another date. Maybe "worse" isn't as bad as I thought and better than alone?

Maybe happiness is over-rated. Is it possible to stay with one man your whole adult life and smile? What did I expect from this institution called marriage? And now that I've been released from the instituion on my own recognizance why do I want to be readmitted? The divorce rate is 50%, that's a lot of personal happiness gone wrong...a lot of sun roofs.

Tina, unfortunately I don't believe in heaven, but am I optimistic you'll find a cute guy there.

No comments: