Friday, March 20, 2009

TWITTERING away the hours

I'm confused. Am I supposed to spend $$ or save it? Shop til I drop, or squirrel away the quarters I accumulate avoiding expensive toll booths. George Bush wanted me to go out and spend, spend, spend and I'm not exactly sure what President Obama wants me to do with my cash. My friend Dan told me shopping is a big faux pas; it's chic to be frugal. Is it cool to be poor? Either way, desperately needing new underwear, I snuk into Target after dark in order to avoid social banishment or ridicule. And girls just in case purchasing becomes acceptable again, they have some darling little dresses and tops for spring all under $20. Btw, $5.95 for a 7 pack of panties. How about telling the country that piece of good news Bill O'Reilly or Chris Matthews!?

Confusion seems to be my state of mind these days. Can someone please tell me what TWITTER is? Apparently everyone is twittering. Is it a national nervous condition or newfangled form of communication? I'm not sure my nervous system can take one more way to communicate without human contact. I just heard I can follow hundreds or thousands of people's lives moment by moment on Twitter. Why, why, why would I want to do that? I've realized I've become a cultural dinosaur in my desire to actually talk to someone face to face. Oh God, not face to face! Quick, I need a Blackberry or IPhone... I NEED TO TWITTER! The truth is I just learned to "cut and paste" on my computer .... I'm a Dinotech.

Actually this morning was a landmark. I got an email from Facebook that someone made me their "friend". I almost burst into tears of joy. I was touched and once again confused. I have no idea what to do next or what it means, but it felt like I'm one step closer to being popular. The last time being my junior/senior years at New Trier High School.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too thought twittering was a nervous disorder & was excited that there might be a prescription medication that I could add to my collection, but was disabused of that notion by my less Luddite children & friends. I only recently realized facebook wasn't a modeling portfolio...slowly, slowly into the 21st century...

Anonymous said...

Some one tried to tell me about this new, exciting technical marvel but I got bored and clicked it away before I could get it all. I didn't care because all I lost was technical information about how to and I couldn't figure out why to.

My friends in France used to make fun of Americans because when we got off airplanes (or deplaned) we would rush for the phone banks in the terminal. They could not understand what was so important that we could not wait until we arrived at our destinations before disgorging our info.

That was before the cell phone took off and changed everything. Not many years later Frenchmen, along with Germans, Italians etc. were bumping into each other on the street - talking on their cell phones. Apparently talking too much was not just an American thing. When it became cheap enough Europe found it had plenty to say.

I love technology and all it has done to improve life but I don't believe that explosion of chatter is worth all the fuss. Twitter is right up there with the billions of jokes, pithy statements and other types of worthless information that I see in my computer every day. I wouldn't waste my time on it.

I must say, however that 7 pair of panties for less than 6 bucks is something to twitter about.

Dr. Ruth formally known as Viking Jen said...

Viking Jen to the rescue!.. Definition of Tweeter Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to send "updates" (text-based posts, up to 140 characters long) via SMS, instant messaging, email, to the Twitter website where your friends or groups can see.
Did you understand that? Well neither did I and now I am stressing... Why Tweeter?.. All I know is that Puff Daddy a.k.a.P Ditty a.k.a Sean Holmes, etc etc etc he tweeters, why? Why BE THERE anytime anyone wants you? Why? Now it goes directly to your cell phone, ipod or whatever you have attached to your body, chained to your life, the constant attachment, it beeps, rings, vibrates.. It slices, dices, chops and juliansm that and more is our faithfuk friend our phone... But what an incredible revenue invention, more minutes on your phone plan, YEY!!! And if you have a jealous-insecure-paranoid "significant other" you better come up with a damn good excuse on why you didn't answer his/hers calls, Tweeters, facebook, pings, IM's, e-mails and "I even called your secretary and she told me you were there" .... OY VEY!!! Mind you I would never date or be seen with someone like that, but we know that some of "those people" will have complete access and account on Tweeter..

Now, lets take a deep breath, lets think of the golden days, the days when if the phone rang you had to run to where the phone was, and forget about walking around and talking on the phone, oh no! the phone had a cord, and the head set was big and bulky and it was rotary dialing, yes your fingers did the walking.. Ok lets come back from flashes from the past..

I have my cell phone, I check my e-mails, why would I want everyone to be able to Tweeter me? I don't really want to accept or reject the humans that would Tweeter me... I don't want fans, ok yes I do want fans, who am I kidding... I;ll stick to youtube, I know that one day I will have my own clip on youtube, but tweeter? hmmm maybe in the future but for now, I will let all those famous people get their spot in the Tweetering lime light and they I will come and conquer the beast.

Tweetly doo da to all of you... One ringy dingy,,,,, two ringy dingies....