Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Candy the anti-venom for TARP

Candy is dandy and quicker than liquor. Yep, that good sugar high is fast and tastes oh so comforting in a quaking economy. I better stock up on my favorite tasty treats as I read in today's New York Times that with nerves shattering and stress levels rising people are diving for the closest candy bin. I however, love candy even when I feel calm and have cash. I confess I'm a penny candy junkie. Bring on the bite size Baby Ruths, Nestles Crunch, Butterfingers, and my beloved Mounds bars. Do not, I repeat do not come too close to me with a Mounds bar in your hand. And it isn't just urban legend, it's true I threatened 4 year old twin boys for complete access to their "trick or treat" booty.

At candy stores around the country business is booming. It's bigger than the sex toy industry which btw is also thriving and does anyone see a connection? Need I say it again, why, why, why isn't this the lead story on the evening news? Wouldn't it cheer everyone up? Snickers, Tootsie rolls, Mary Janes, Nonpareils, Sugar Daddies, Neco Wafers, and Mallo cups; who isn't salivating or doesn't have tears of nostalgia in their eyes? How I loved the chocolate Necco wafers and would pluck them out of the roll, leaving the other nasty tasting colors for my sobbing little sister.

I suggest however, until stock portfolios pick up you stay away from any sticky type candy. I once broke a tooth on a jelly bean and my 10 cent purchase cost me $1,200 in a new crown. Ixnay to gummy bears, Swedish fish and Skittles. Besides what possible emotional comfort can be found in a Skittle?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm well aware of your Baby Ruth and Mounds addiction. My candy jar was reduced by half the last time you visited. Now I have the "Gail" stash hidden in the pantry just in case you come over and the candy jar is empty. But I'm going to make you sign a waiver in case you break a tooth on one of my candy bars.

Anonymous said...

I know those kids that you tricked out of their treats. They still have fears of some jewish woman with a fearsome look on her face every time they look at a mouns bar. They must be relating their experience to the Hansel and Grettel thing because they still will not eat gingerbread.

Dr. Ruth formally known as Viking Jen said...

I LOVE CANDY but I am picky when it comes to those sweet things that come wrapped and are full of sugar..I am not into the candy that has liquid inside; I once bit into one and yelled "this candy threw up in my mouth" a friend of mine still uses that line. I like hard candy like butterscotch is awesome. What I go crazy with is the sweet and sour candy, the ones that after you suck on 10 of them your tongue cracks into 70000 pieces... Candy is good. It is so good I think I will have one now.. My downfall is gum, yes the super bubble gum, I can chew 5 at the same time, chew till my jaw can't take it anymore... My father is a chocoholic, I don't like chocolate except Hershey's almond. That is good.. I crave it once a month but that's all. Candy is a good thing and you are right Gail, one wrong bite and $1000.00 of tooth fixings.. I think dentists should lower their rates or we should pay them with candy, heck why not?...

I wonder if I can come up with Merlot candy, you can go to work, suck on a Merlot candy and after 3 of them we all feel GOOD!... Candy and wine, hmmmm what about strawberries dipped in chocolate? mmmmm ok need a sugar fix now.