Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My week with Warren Buffet

I'm baaaaaack! A week on the road sure was fun.... packing, unpacking, packing ,unpacking, schlepping, schlepping, schlepping....all to make 1,893 miles feel shorter by stopping along the way. Obviously the Wright brothers hated road trips also. Scottsdale Arizona was first. Unfortunately I still have a headache from the "cowboy" Chardonnay they serve in the restaurants/bars there. I love when they color code wine and tap it like beer...yummy and saves time "corking" a bottle. Got Advil? I also discovered my yellow lab Elliot doesn't like to pee in the desert....too prickly. He tiptoed through the brush and then hightailed his pansy ass out. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find grass in Scottsdale?

Santa Fe was next and thank God they have grass. They also have turquoise...tons and tons and tons of turquoise. I thought I was in a 70's time warp, but then realized I wasn't high. Crap. The Whole Foods in town was having an arugula strike. That confused me...what exactly is an arugula strike and is there a Cesar Chavez for this fancy yuppie roughage? The dog peed, I did not buy any turquoise, and then hit the road still perplexed about the arugula. FYI, there is no Ritz Carlton in Amarillo Texas, or a 4 Seasons. There is a 1 season La Quinta. If thread count , and fluffy towels are not a necessity, you would love a weekend there. For the gourmand, Denny's and Wendy's are in walking distance and the smell of cattle is wafting through the air! AHHHHHH I love the smell of livestock in the morning.

Would the fun never stop? Or how many more freaking miles were ahead of me? I had Warren Buffet's book "The Snowball" on cd and was fascinated to learn he was as "cheap" as my dad. That's about all they had in common. Warren, Warren, Warren, you're a financial genius, but you can't take it with you! My dad however, is determined to. We stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant outside of St. Louis, which fyi DOES NOT serve alcohol but does have a nifty gift shop if you like Martha Stewart on steroids. I had 2 biscuits with my lunch which were tasteless but light and crumbly...ok, I was desperate , anxious, and sober.

I intentionally snuk back into Chicago after dark. Please don't tell the channel 5 weatherman I'm here or this endless rain will turn to snow.

3 comments:

Dr. Ruth formally known as Viking Jen said...

One, two, one, two three, four
On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is making music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again.

Too bad you didn't stop in Winslow Arizona and had 7 women on your mind. Ok in your case it would be seven men but we are in the 21st century and it's ok.

Glad you are home again? shhhhh I won't tell weather man jerk, I promise.

You were in Amarillo and it is so close to me, well not it isn't, Texas is a huge piece of flat land but you were touching my State, your wheels were in my back yard, how darling is that?.

I am SO GLAD you are back, I was about to slice my wrists because of you, you know? Yes you, your blog, what is a day without your blog? Well is a day where I HAVE to concentrate in an 8 to 5 job without a bloggers break, that's why..
Whew! Let me put the broken glass down, too bad I didn’t finish that bottle of cheap 2.00 wine and broke it before it was empty, I figured that alcohol would not infect my cuts, now let me put my sleeves back down and take a deep breath, YOU ARE BACK! I'm reading your blog again YEYYYY FOR GAIL’S BLOGS! Can we get a standing ovation please people???

Glad you made it home safe.

Love
Your number one fan

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Cracker Barrel didn't serve alcohol. Tasteless, if light & crumbly biscuits just don't make up for the lack of some Advil-helper chardonnay, although I understand the substitution.
Welcome back to Chicago?

Anonymous said...

Go baaaaaaaaaack. Let's see miles - abt 1800 complaints - bad whine, tooo much silver, bad hotel, bad smell, no booze in Cracker Barrel and your dog hates the desert. That's about one complaint every 300 miles

Good blog