Thursday, May 8, 2008

I feel better about my face, neck and finances!

I feel ten years younger! Is it better to "feel" or "look" younger? That's a really tough one isn't it? I picked "feel". I can't afford "look". I returned the skin care products that cost more than my rent! It would be ridiculous to be homeless with only a night time exfoliant, new age cellular skin repair cream, and eye rejuvenator to my name. Besides my brain was hurting from trying to figure out the mathematical possibilities to paying the huge Neiman's bill that would soon be in my sweaty,trembling hand. Should I pay it in full and see how long I could go hungry? No, I had dinner plans. I figured out installments in 10, 25, 50 and $100 increments and realized I might not live long enough to be out of debt. I toyed with going to my grave having an outstanding Neiman's balance but tragically, it would then be my son's only inheritance ... I'm a bad bad mother.

I want to personally thank my girlfriends who wrote/called and gave me the courage to march back to the make-up counter and "just say no". The eye cream did make my eyes burn, and the moisturizer turned my skin an odd shade of red, so I felt like I had a case for a refund. Guilt looms way too large in my life. It's a Jewish curse. I think God must have said to the Jews, "Go forth and feel guilty... oh and multiply, and of course, shop". (I hope that meant for shoes!) Well, there was no need for all my angst as the sales girls couldn't have been nicer and promptly printed my refund receipt. I felt the years melt away. I peeked in the mirror ....nope, the years were still there. Let's just say my spirit felt younger and I had more money. It took every ounce of strength to resist the shoe department which was calling to me from the 2nd floor. I stared up longingly and with tears in my eyes, but didn't go.

I didn't leave empty handed however. There is a trick ! A fool proof way to spare oneself the defeat of returns. To think I could have avoided days of buyer's remorse and boring my friends to death talking about moisturizer. Get samples! You can test drive the products. Mom, Queen of make-up counters from here to Manhattan, why didn't you tell me this? I came home toting tiny jars of skin creams, eye fluffers, and wrinkled neck miracles. A bag of "promise" was mine and it was free. I looked better already.

No comments: