Saturday, March 29, 2008

Windex baby!

I confess. I'm an addict. Not in the usual treatable sense. There's no Betty Ford program or 12 step meeting that could cure me. Honestly, I have no desire for treatment or live in hope that anyone ever discovers one. Nope, leave me alone . I'm happy with the needle in my vein. It's been there since 1977 . I was pregnant and lazily lying around channel surfing as a form of exercise, when there on my 16 inch screen was Al Maguire and his Marquette Warriors vying for the NCAA National basketball championship. I can still picture him wildly running onto the court embracing his players at the buzzer. In my Good-Year Blimp state I jumped up also, and started screaming . The underdogs won and I fell in love with Al and the game of college basketball. (I admit as a teenager I was in love with John Havlacek of Boston Celtic fame but hey, no crush lasts forever). I'm addicted to MARCH MADNESS .... two non-stop weeks of single elimination college basketball, 64 of the top Division l teams in the country playing for the national title. Anything can happen...upsets, Cinderellas, buzzer beaters, overtime...back to back to back games .... does it get any better than that? Yes, I'm female. Men seem to be missing in action however. Does anyone out there want to watch with me? Where did you all go? Come on re-join the gender and turn on the tv. I'm relegated to sports bars to find company.

Filling out the tournament chart was a veritable religious ritual. I'd labor over it for days , and then bet with a current boyfriend or join someone's pool. And yes I've won. Won big, I have a personally signed Nolan Ryan baseball for my efforts in 1996. Nice huh? I keep it with my underwear. I won an office pool in 1990 and felt smug and proud when I was handed the money. The girl prevails again. It's happened quite a few times and I'm never humble. It's not the prize really, it's the win. Ok, I'm diabolical. And "NO", this obsession has nothing to do with young boys in shorts. Or young boys. Although I must admit there are some very nice upper bodies this year.

It's the game baby! Some of them take your breath away and "yes" I'll stop myself from listing every one of them since 1977. I was very sad when Al Maguire died a few years back as I was always hoping we'd get married. I have no friends from the end of March until after the first Monday in April. And that's ok with me. "He shoots, he scores"! Gotta go watch.

No comments: