Monday, March 3, 2008

It had to be you, Alan Greenspan

It's the economy. IT's THE ECONOMY! And yes, I am stupid. I've hung up my hang up on foreign policy and turned my undivided attention to the "r" word. I have no idea what I'm reading as economists baffle me. There are really no two opinions alike. Who are these people and why don't they agree? I desperately comb the business section of the paper obsessed with economic indicators, interest rates, unsecured mortgage packages, and unemployment numbers. Yet I can't help but wonder if Alan Greenspan doesn't feel a teensy- weensy bit guilty. Alan, sorry baby but the housing bubble burst. We're all being slimed. Weren't you supposed to keep an eye on the banks and ill conceived derivitives?

I admit I re-financed with an adjustable rate mortgage which in hindsight wasn't prudent, but I did get the low, low, low, interest rate of 4.5%. Btw, Wells Fargo, why did I have to put down 20% at the time of purchase? Now I read the whole freaking world made little or no downpayment and got vacay money to boot. I did get oh so lucky and sell my condo before it would have doubled as my tomb. There I would have been face down in the living room with a rusty for sale sign out on the lawn, and these last words frozen on my lips, "Alan what about the banking industry"?

Ben Bernake what's your opinion? Should I just say "no" to shopping? But wait, the President is sending me a check for that very purpose. This confuses me. Should I stop and save, or go and spend; someone tell me the truth! Maybe I should car pool. That always sounds so sensible doesn't it? Except I don't leave my apartment to work. I might do it anyway,for the peace of mind it could bring . Does anyone want to come? I do have a fuel efficient car ,although if gas gets to $4 a gallon I'm getting a bike... or dog sled if the winter doesn't end. Ben, I'll never be able to retire if you and those crazy economists keep muttering: inflation, stagflation, recession, and depression. I've worked hard all these years and now Fed boy Ben, you need to do the same because, "it's the economy stupid".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whether you "stop and save or go and spend" depends on the devil that you are serving. Buy something new if you need or want it and don't if you don't and #%&* the economy. It was your money before the government took it and it will be yours again when they give it back - it's your money and your economy