Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fair Warning!

What is a "player"? Sam called saying his sort of girlfriend just hung up on him screaming he was, "nothing but a player". I think that's hostile and really an issue for Dr. Phil, but I was stuck with it. I wanted to tell him I had the election to deal with and the "r" word ominously looming and couldn't be bothered with dating problems until November, but I didn't. He was obviously concerned. Oh not about the woman, but the accusation. Nice huh? Here's the deal, NONE of the women he dates are his girlfriend, they just think they are. Girls, girls, girls, ask the hard question first, "are you interested in a relationship"? Or call me before you go out with this man and I'll tell you the answer "NO". And Sam, you hound dog, take some responsibility here too. Before even ten minutes has elapsed tell the poor person you have no interest in any future commitment. A woman who stays for a drink after that is on her own. I say run!

I tell Sam he is not a player but PROFESSIONALLY SINGLE, this sounds more polite and he seemed pleased with the new label. All my uncommitted male friends are, now that I think of it. They've been alone so long they're good at it. Shabby apartments desperately in need of a woman's touch/taste have given way to well decorated homes in need of no one. The once poorly dressed man has discovered Neiman's , Bloomingdales and Barneys. No woman required. And holy cow Batman, these guys can shop and prepare a freaking gourmet meal. Who needs the little woman now? The boys have become picky, picky, picky and truth is they feel they can be because they don't need any help. Yep got it all. Of course they're delusional but that is Dr. Phil territory. And If your "ah ha" moment is, "he'll love me if I have sex with him" ah ha again. Nope, won't work either, because it won't separate you from the crowd ....you'll be part of it.

This sucks doesn't it and quite honestly I don't have the answer. Sorry. As for me, I've taken the path of Lysistrata. Remember her? If you don't check Wikipedia. Now I have to get back to worrying about the election and the "r" word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about a not needy, financially stable, tasteful, discerning single man...I think that sums it up a lot better than professionally single.