Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Gift of Goosebumps

Barack's got the gift. Some people "got" it and the rest don't. It was a stunning juxtapositon after the big win for Hillary in Texas, Ohio, and Rhode Island. She was delivering her victory speech in a very determined and rigorous manner, alluding to issues like the economy and re-gaining jobs. Can't anyone say something specific for God's sake? Allusion is crap, but politically safe. Regardless, I was rooting for her, or alluding to root for her. She was upbeat, smiling, promising to fight to the end. Yea Hillary, you're a heads down worker bee, good speech.

Uh oh, not so fast, enter, "the gift". Barack Obama in the meantime was delivering a concession speech. If only I had turned the channel. The minute he opened his mouth I was mesmerized. Frozen in place I dropped the clicker. Whoa baby, whatever it is you're selling I'm buying. "You're selling hope? Ok, that's good, I'll buy it". That's the Obama effect. What was he really saying? What's hope in terms of policy and did I care? Apparently no one cares because in truth he wasn't saying anything, or even alluding, but he has the gift of oration and THE GOOSEBUMP FACTOR. I've had these bumps before. Winston Churchill, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Martin Luther King, John F. Kennedy, and William J. Clinton (yes, Clinton) gave the "bumps" also. Now we can add Barack Obama to the list. He delivered the magic of inspiration. "I believe, I believe", I shouted as I ran around the room . Hold it I'm a Jew we're not into Evangelistic type excitment. I stopped and sat in a chair.

Hillary, you are not a goosebump girl. I like your determination and I think you really are a "day one" candidate. I don't care if you don't move me out of my seat. I'm exhausted after the last eight years and would like to rest. John McCain, give up. And btw has anyone checked his pulse lately? He will never move anyone except in the same direction they're already going. As for Barack, maybe what he can do for his country is wait his turn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goosebumps hell. What you're talking about is the difference between being a good manager, Hillary, and being a leader, Barack. But, those with leadership qualities aren't necessarily good managers and vice versa. The Brits figured out long ago...they have the Queen, leader, and the Prime Minister, manager, type of government. Manager's get things done, even at 3 am, but they are boring.