Friday, January 25, 2008

Job Security; it's just a shot away

Help I need media deprivation! I'm at the brink, barely able to sustain psychological equilibruim. Every morning I'm bombarded with bad news, from the deteriorating economy, to destabilzation in the Middle East, to mercurial presidential hopefuls, and now mercury tainted sushi. This is getting harder and harder to take. I'm oh so close to canceling my precious New York Times subscription, and unplugging the tv. I need time to relax, breathe without hyperventilating, see what a news free world feels like. It might be nice to live in a vacuum for a while; what war? I'm a news junkie but pulling the needle out of my arm might allow me a happier, less disturbing life. News rehab should be a Betty Ford program.

What brought me to the very edge of sanity was an article I read Thursday in the Times ,"Nice Resume. Have You Considered Botox?" This was in the Style section which I read for entertainment not mind numbing fear. I like the fashion photos not news that I'm too old and wrinkled for the job market. This brought me to my knees. I hadn't heard about the newest self help book entitled "How Not to Look Old". Aging apparently has reached disease status! Funny, I don't feel ill. Although thinking I couldn't get a job because I'm over 50 has made me nauseous. "Looking hip is not just about vanity anymore, it's critical to every woman's personal and financial survival", is stated on the book jacket. Pepto Bismol anyone? Or Jonestown Kool-aid? Employers are factoring out experience and acheivement, and factoring in date of birth, wrinkle free eyes , forehead and a size 2 skirt? We are a deep nation aren't we? Gloria Steinem do want to add anything or are you off getting Botox for job security?

I find this deeply distressing. I run to the mirror to see if I could get a job.
DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? I run to the mirror to see if I could get a job? I run to the garbage with the Style section. Tomorrow I'm going to throw away the whole paper and see if that doesn't make me look and feel younger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gail,

I've lived in a news-less world for the past eight years. I learned that planes were crashing into the towers in NY because a friend called me. "Can you believe what's going on?" I said "What?" Teletubbies were on the TV for my one year old at the time. I tuned in to see the second plane crash into the second tower. Anyway,I do live in scant newsless world of kids, vacuuming etc. It's not a good place to be. I can't talk and sound reasonably smart regarding world topics. It stinks at dinner parties. I wonder if people know I'm smiling and nodding because I "get it" or "don't get it". So, keep reading.

Also, I couldn't get hired because I haven't had a job for 8 years, since I'm raising children, and botox or not, my resume at this point stinks of dirty diapers.