Monday, January 3, 2011

Requiem for a Laptop

2016 was not even 12 hours old when disaster struck. I abandoned any thoughts of my New Year's resolutions earlier than planned and switched into a state of high anxiety. The day started out innocently enough, I dragged my sleepy sorry self over to my desk and turned on my laptop.  It just sat there dark and dead as a door nail.  Sweating, I screamed at it , "Why won't you start?" I stared intensely at the little machine as if magically I could will it on. Ever so slowly it flickered into existence but wouldn't connect to the internet. I plugged and unplugged every cord connected to the metal box. I did a virus check. I de-fragged. I have no idea what that meant but it sounded crucial. I clicked on all the icons that looked helpful and then I went searching for a baseball bat. "Work or die!" I yelled.

I was in techno-meltdown. I was short of breath and patience. I didn't know what I needed first: drugs, a martini , an Emergency Room, or Bill Gates. My friend Dennis tried to calm me down and suggested I take it to "Best Buy" for a check up. "Check up, I think it needs life support" I cried as I grabbed my laptop and hightailed it to the car. I was tempted to tie it to the bumper and drag it behind me. Thankfully even in my psycho state I knew that might feel cathartic but was counter-productive. I ran into the store mowing down everyone in my path. "Heads up I have a dying laptop."

I threw myself and the computer on the Geek Squad counter and burst into tears. "Help me Geeek man, I can't get on the internet, my Dell is trying to die." He ignored my histrionics and looked at the machine with consideration. "Ma'am this laptop is at least 5 years old." Uh oh, that sounded fatal. "Have you ever changed the battery or AC cord?" "No," I blushed in my techno-ignorance. "Well you should have by now. You could try that and we could give it a thorough check-up but that's a band-aid and not a cure." Not a cure? I needed a cure, a vaccine, a pill, a transplant. "I suggest you're better off putting the money in a new laptop." I think I lost consciousness. "New....computer...."I stuttered, as I saw the room start to spin. "Yes Ma'am." I wasn't ready to let my little Dell go; it was my first. A new computer might make my head explode. I learnedhow to copy and paste on this one. I finally figured out the paper clip symbol stands for "attach" and can actually do it without crying. Only last week I learned you could have more than one window open at a time.

Is there liturgy and proper funerary clothing for a laptop at the end? And how long after it's death is it appropriate to buy a new one?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to hold on to whatever sanity you have left - don't buy a new computer. You will totally fry your brain with Windows 7. It is nothing like Windows XP. Get ready to IV martini's into your blood stream or go straight for the heavy stuff - pills!!!

Anonymous said...

they need to start recovery clinics for those of us who suffer the loss of an electronic friend. wait until you turn on the updated, modernized new version. NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING will work as it did before, it will do cool new things (that you don't want/need) but won't be there for any of the things you have mastered. seriously, you will need the medical attention, not the computer.

Anonymous said...

Great blog - no kidding. Well, now you know what you have to do. Learn to use the little white box you already have and worship at the feet of the god of friends.

Good to see that you are starting 2011 with a blog that has more zing.

gail maria said...

OMG - you see why I'm frightened! Everyone has said a new computer would certainly make my head explode. I went to my computer guru Devon and he said my computer was fine and I was broken because I don't want to learn about my little laptop. He convinced me I was hysterical for no reason other than computer illiteracy...he lost patience with me but I left convinced I might be safe for a while longer. Whew. I also feel better after 2 glasses of wine.