Monday, January 31, 2011

A Brief History of Dating

I have a long dating history. I was good at getting dates. It was almost a no brainer. I'd walk out the door and by the time I got back home I'd have met some cool guy who asked me out. Ok, I admit I usually had my cheat sheet with me, my dog, but the two of us were a dynamic date nabbing duo. Me and Jonah, my Golden Retriever, met my first husband in Central Park, easy as pie. Jonah had his eye on the prize that day. Thanks buddy. Whatever street the two of us sauntered down some New York cutie would stop, pet the dog, and ask me out. That was too easy. I met husband two without a critter in the lobby of the Museum of Modern Art. I had inadvertantly spent all but $2.00 on my way over at the Coach store on Madison Ave. and didn't have enough left to buy a ticket. I was meeting a friend and needed to think fast as I was late. Being resourceful I perused the ticket line and decided I had to borrow a dollar from someone until I found my girlfriend. A light when off in my head. Why not ask the best looking guy in sight for the temporary loan?! Husband #2 appeared. Voila.

Getting a date was not a problem whether serendipitously meeting in a coat room, bookstore, movie line, restaurant, or out running , by the time I got home the phone was ringing. I had confidence baby! On the other hand single men were everywhere. It was like fishing in a stocked pond. Boy oh boy do things change. I have dating whiplash. Where did the all the boys go Connie Francis? Now no matter where I walk even with my super model Yellow Lab "Elliot" aka "Potato" we never meet one single man. The dog gets a few pats on the head as he looks longingly at folks for food but zippo in the date catching department. I've tried hanging out in the produce aisle of the grocery store - it's a lonely place but I do like blueberries on sale. It has dawned on me that I should mozy over to the colon health aisle but can't figure out how I'd strike up a clever conversation.

With 50% of the population divorced you'd think a friend would fix me up but they don't. HA! This paucity of men has driven me to internet dating sites. I swear on Dr. Phil's life I've tried to be an honest responsible internet participant. I don't lie about my weight, height, and just a teenie weenie bit on my age. Teenie I say! I am not lying when I tell you everyone is lying. I've had a litany of goofy guys who spend hours talking or writing to me and then disappear. It couldn't have been anything I did as they never even met me. It's a gamble over in internet land - a giant roulette wheel and you can spin it forever. Meeting the old fashioned way seems to be a thing of the past. I'm not a gambler and anything that spins makes me dizzy. I'm back to thinking I'll take my chances outside with the dog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just gave the reason why good looking women, and men for that matter have a hard time with life. They don't have to work for or at their important relationships. Everyone knows that men suffer from an insufficient amount of blood for their needs. They will always go for a cute woman ..... for a while.

As either long relationships or age take away their advantage it becomes difficult to get or keep what came to them so easily. If they are also smart and witty it's even harder.

When they can't figure it out it becomes apparent to them that they are the victims of the male species - bastards.

Eventually, the ones with insight and courage will look inside themselves and see the assets they never used. They will also realize they have been victimized by their good looks.

If an opportunity comes they will revere a loving relationship over their former lover - popularity. They won't see the opportunity as a solution to their current problems but a richer life worth working for.

Anonymous said...

Having met you, Gail, I will emphatically agree with Anonymous. You are still good-looking enough ... but that no longer wins the battle. What will win is your smarts, personality, wit and wisdom. You have all of that going for you ... you need no longer coast on your (still good) looks.