Thursday, December 31, 2009

I Hate New Year's Eve

Oh crap it's New Year's Eve. I can feel the pressure mounting. What am I doing? Where am I going? What will I wear? Does anyone like me? Is it too late to get a date? What if someone sees me home alone? Am I still in high school? Answers: nothing, nowhere, my pajamas, no, yes, yikes, and no. Why and when did this one night become a barometer of popularity ? And is there really such a thing as "popularity" once you're out of 12th grade? I long for the peace and quiet of 4th grade. I take that back, my last peaceful New Years was 2nd grade as if I recall correctly 3rd grade was the year I had a crush on Roger S. and realized he didn't like me. I was devastated and unpopular.

New Year's Eve is totally over-rated. Who can even stay up until midnight? I remember fondly when 12:00 a.m was a starting point. I wasn't tired, I was dressed and ready to go, go, go. Now I'm cranky and irritable if I'm up at 11:30. Who am I? The go go go girl has come and gone. I've morphed into "I'm tired and have to go home." Aside from my inability to remain conscious until midnight, the pressure to have fun is overwhelming. Does a good time involve party hats, noise makers and drugs once you're over 50? I look really bad in hats, most of my dates are hard of hearing so anything that makes noise is wasted, and the drug of choice is now an anti-inflamatory.

Only 14 hours and 10 minutes until midnight. I think I'll get a jump on the night and open a bottle of champagne now. I'll be asleep by noon. Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the pressure is mounting. The party was canceled: the hostess is sick. Good...I don't have to stay up until midnight. But I still have a date, albeit, a bad one. Would have been tolerable at party where we could play games...the only redeeming factor. Is a bad date better than no date? Frankly, I'd rather sit home with my dog with a nice pinot watching a Netflix and asleep before 11. Happy New Year from Kit.

Anonymous said...

I liked "I hate New Years Eve" better than "I need a New Year's Resolution Quick". Probably because I also hate New Year's Eve also. That's why I got to bed early, got up to pee and played on the internet (thank you Al Gore" until 2AM.