Monday, July 20, 2009

Walter Cronkite vs. Michael Jackson

Does anyone know if there's a lottery for tickets to Walter Cronkite's funeral? I'd really really like to go and don't know if there's the crazed frenzy for seats like there was for Michael Jackson. Not one news channel has interrupted regularly scheduled programming regarding his life or funeral....I'd call that irony. Will there be a moment of silence in Congress? Hello Nancy Pelosi, if you gave Michael a minute,(?????) how about Walter as a token for the rest of us? Lord knows the CBS evening news hasn't been the same since he retired. Is it presumptuous to say that although he couldn't "moonwalk" or write music, he did help change the face of the Viet Nam War? Again ironically .... how many generations remember that war vs. Michael Jackson?

I had different kinds of heroes, Walter being one of them. My mother and I once stood next to him on the corner of 57th street and Park Avenue in New York City and giggled like two silly school girls. I think I left a scar where I poked her in the ribs when I spotted him. "Oh my God, oh my God, Mother, it's Walter Cronkite....no don't talk to him"! I had to yank her back on the curb to get her under control. I was also in the elevator at Rockefeller Plaza with Chet Huntley many many many years ago... DOES ANYONE BUT ME REMEMBER HIM? I almost fainted when I saw the man. I loved him too. I don't remember a lottery system for his funeral either or 24/7 coverage.

I've had the tv on for 2 hours of morning programming and not one segment about Walter Cronkite's life or death. There was however, a rather lengthy piece on the custody of Michael Jackson's children. Who are we?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hate to disappoint you, but FOX NEWS gave lots of great coverage to Walter Cronkite (they respected him)!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't care it some news services gave him coverage. It sill gave me a chance to take a shot at Nancy Pelosi etal.

Anonymous said...

I once talkd to Chet Coppock!