Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I Also Hate Packing Boxes!

Let's face it moving sucks. First of all, it forces me to take a good hard look at all the crap I've acquired and schlepped from place to place because I refuse to admit it's crap. Why , why, why do I still have madras bermudas in my closet and a mink coat with one arm? If anyone wants either item please let me know asap. I'm a little afraid to move the coat however, for fear of it becoming a vest. I have shoes that are too small which make me wonder if they ever fit, and if they didn't why I bought them. I have a small red purse. Huh? I have two white blouses that haven't been white since 1998 and whoops, my friend Ellen's University of Wisconsin sweatshirt that I forgot to return in 1973.

I've become an expert at packing up a kitchen. Yep, I'm fast, I'm good and have a low breakage record. My biggest weakness is the tape gun . Not a pretty sight. I've yet to master weilding tape and holding the bottom of the carton closed. Ok, I scream a lot and have on occasion thrown the box down and stomped on it. Fyi, crying doesn't help either. And "just say no" to taping and drinking. Stacking up boxes filled with pots and pans I don't use and the really really expensive china that has never seen a meal makes me ponder why I even need a kitchen. I don't have the time or enough medication to explore that .

Once I start I'm a packing machine. Onward, tape gun in hand, I invade my office. Recklessly I throw away a Village Voice from 1972. I have no idea why I saved it which scares me but I toss it anyway. Pictures, books,
#2 pencils, my old Filofax all go in boxes. A lone coaster doesn't make the cut, or pictures of me with short hair. I vow to never move again. At least not until I use the china.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, if you remove the madras shorts and mink coat your wardrobe will shrink by 25%. For the sake of making the closet appear as if there are clothes in there, don't throw anthing away until you or someone we shall not name, replaces them for you.

Unknown said...

Will the madras shorts fit Allie? will take. thank you.

stop throwing away and sell (like the 1972 village voice) on ebay. might be a side profession

Anonymous said...

Those tape guns are dangerous. I saw a woman who got all tied up in the tape - arms taped to her sides, legs taped together. We had to use boiling water to free her. Oh Wait! That was crazy glue.

Moving is a sad time as well. Oh well.