Monday, January 19, 2009

Dinner for one... unless you're paying

Strapped for cash but still long for your favorite restaurants? Me too. So, being cheap and inventive I've discovered the trick to dining out on a really, really small budget. No,I'm not plugging the food stand at Target. I'm talkin' appetizers baby! Just say "no" to entrees. Don't even peek at that part of the menu. If temptation calls in the form of "Ahi seared tuna" be strong and look away. Stay very very focused or it will cost you $28.00. And don't despair, the same tasty tuna is available in appetizer form. Catch my drift kids? It's sleight of hand eating. Crafty! No matter how hungry, I remain steadfast and order the tiny portion for only $10.00. This leaves me enough $$ for a martini or nice cabernet; my economic recovery package.

If it's lunch that's a budget cruncher, try my favorite spot, Chez Costco. I highly recommend the lovely pizza slices with the divine frozen yogurt swirl for dessert. This will only set you back about $5, which allows you enough extra money to buy a 1500 pack of AA batteries. Really on a tight dining allowance? Skip the pizza and yogurt combo and fill up on samples. I'm a sample junkie. I love to wander from stand to stand and voraciously grab the free treats. Twice around the store and I call it, "what time is dinner?" Uurrp!

Why in God's name am I bitching, bitching, bitching?! Good morning President Obama! My friend Jane said she's "jubilant". I can't be cranky today. In celebration of this exciting new time, I'm going out to dinner.... and ordering an entree!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES - YES & YES

Yes - people should eat the appetizers. They are more healthful than stuffing yourself and starving your wallet. And, you will walk away from the restaurant moree comfortable and richer.

Yes - the Costco appetizers and both nutritious and filling. And, one of our branch managers took her branch to Costcos every Friday. It was a 2 win situation-they loved her for spending time with them and they bought a lot.

Yes - Barack Obama gave one hell of a speech today and the thought that we have an African American (in name) president speaks well for the country.