Thursday, January 15, 2009

California dreamin'

Last Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were some of the happiest days of my life. The New York Times didn't deliver the paper. I was in a news free bubble. Everything was right with my tiny tiny universe. What President? What investigation? The Middle East, where's that?  What's a Steve Bannon? Isn't Hamas a dip? I was a blithering idiot, but didn't care. The sun was out, the temperature was 72 degrees, my biggest concern was what SPF level would best prevent wrinkles and delay further aging.  After much pondering and label reading I decided on a nice spf 30. I took my little rescue Tulip for a walk to the local coffee shop where we sat outside and shared a biscotti. I was so calm I checked myself for a pulse. I've never spent a day without the news.  Wow and namaste!

Honestly I didn't miss knowing what was going on in the world. My news free bubble was busy, busy, busy. I went out to buy wine and although it disturbed me slightly to realize they only sell three kinds of grapes in California (cabernet, merlot, pinot noir), I got over it. I sat out in the hot tub, very nice and bubbly. I was getting dumber by the day.  I called the New York Times and complained I didn't get a paper, but realized I didn't care. Who am I?

The very next day the paper got delivered. My idyllic bubble burst before my very eyes. The news slimmed me.  Chaos, testimony, fake news, climate agreements, tax reform, health care and, artic temperatures  bombarded my brain.  I'm anxious, my nerves are shot, and I question my purchase of Spf 30 instead of 50.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allow me to fill you in on the days you missed. The new president to be wants some 600,000 more Federal employees, control of the second $350 billion and is working up a plan to spend $800 billion more - over the normal budget of course.

Just a thought - since many factories in America are closing does that not mean that there will be more and more dollars chasing less and less goods. Do they think that might lead to rampant inflation just like it has every time it happened in the past?

Our crack political leaders Barny F... et al now want constraints: caps on exec salaries and no private jets. Are they sharp or what?

Corp America is fighting back. Lobbyists are suggesting that these "iron clad controls" are only applied to the second $350 billion and not the first.

It would be my guess that stockholders don't know their dividends are going to protect executive salaries just like private tax paying citizens don't know that taxes are going to cover the expenses of Nancy Pelosi's private jet.

And, for the coups de gras (or something like that) we have a man who the new president's transition team wants to be made Treasurer of the United States ( in charge of the IRS among other things) who did not pay income tax on 4 years of earnings from the IMM. The president to be and many of the congress have labeled that action as - get this a "simple mistake that anyone could make" - even though the IMM sends out quarterly notices telling each employee, contractor and consultant how much tax he or she should pay their country on their earnings from the IMM. Our new treasurer received 16 of those notices over the 4 years and must have been told by his tax accountant that he owed the money at least 4 times. HE FORGOTT?????

What else - Oh yes!!! Pat Roberts that God fearing senator from Kansas was quoted as saying that Hamas was only launching a limited number of fairly harmless rockets into sparsely populated ares in Israel??????? And, Israel's response is excessive, cruel and unwarranted. I wish Hamas would send a few harmless rockets into Robert's home state and see if he wants any of them to live.

My information is that there were about 7,000 limited Hamas' rockets and aside from some deaths and destroyed property - like schools one kid got his legs blow off.

Have another wine Gail Marie. It's difficult to be humorous about the way 2009 is beginning all the statesman/women and leaders are dead.

Anonymous said...

I gained weight after 9/11 eating comfort food because i had Fox news on 24/7. Although you hate Bush, his final press conference was interesting. He said, we all went on with our lives after 9/11, ignored the news. he, however, never saw the world the same. His comfort wasn't food, it was riding his bike as fast as he could to block out his morning security briefing.

Dr. Ruth formally known as Viking Jen said...

I have great suggestions for you. I don’t read the "bad news paper", yes I call them bad news, or have the editorials change to where there is good news in the news? No of course not, why? Because drama sells baby, that's why. So I don’t know how much the New York Times cost everyday so here is my solution. Instead of buying the news paper buy a lottery ticket, it will take the same time to win the lottery as it is to fix the world or even good ole USA and if you do win the lottery don't forget your cousin in Texas ok?.. And if that's not an incentive just think of all the dresses, shoes and wine you can buy at Neiman's. So put the bad news down, get the bottle of tanning lotion out and relax, the world will still have drama way after we are all gone darling.