Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"For Richer or for Richer"

Has anyone considered the impact the economy is having on trophy wives? OY! They must be having a really hard time. Yikes girls ,"for richer or for poorer" has become the DREADED "for poorer"! Not what you signed up for, is it? Oh but don't fret, maybe old men are fun even without money?! The two of you will have quality "alone time" now that charity galas are not in the budget. I know, I know, you loved the designer party clothes , but sweat pants are fun for staying home. Perk them up with some jewelry; if it's not being auctioned. There's love without Van Clef and Arpels, right? Btw, buying nail polish at Walgreens is a real cash saver. Did I say something sad? I'm sorry. And with no money for open toed Jimmy Choos or Manolos, hasta la bye-bye to pedicures. See how fun frugality can be!?

About the second home...who needed all that schlepping. I'm certain you didn't marry for a little old house in Aspen or St. Barts. And you know what else "for poorer" means?... no more personal trainer. Whoa, now that's hitting below the belt. So darlin' step away from the brownies. I feel your pain because I love brownies also. Is it too late to re-negotiate those crazy wedding vows? How does "for richer or for richer" sound right about now?

I'm curious, are any of the trophy girls longing for their pre-marital boyfriends... the age appropriate hotties that had hair, height, and no body fat? It's funny what happens in an economic down turn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fine way to talk about the economic backbone of our country. I suppose you think it's fun to have to hoof it up and down 5th Ave, Michigan Ave, Rodeo Dr. and the Chumps Elezie - forever in search of anti-bargains.

Women who face exorbitant prices with grim determination but who cower like vampires at dawn when in close proximity of a sign displaying the word "sale". Will they ever see the light of day again?

From lunch at "the club" with the girls to a slice of pizza at Costco - from ..... this is getting too depressing I have to stop. But, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose one benefit of marrying a guy with no money is that we have no money to be lost! Or at least, very little! We got his retirement fund out of AIG literally hours before it went POOF and we had divested our stock fund earlier in the year. So, although US currency will probably be worthless in a very short time (hey, I can always paper the walls with the stuff!) we aren't worrying too much. We have property in California and 3 large tents so we have told the kids we're just fine! And in an emergency, they can always come to us - they do have to bring their own sleeping bags, though.
As for looking for a guy who still has all his hair and no body fat - I was one of the lucky ones who married a guy who is aging ALMOST as well as I am. As he reminds me from time to time, he still weighs exactly what he weighed when he graduated from college. As I remind HIM from time to time - that may be true, but Mother Nature is re-arranging it! You can't argue with gravity!