Monday, June 2, 2008

Don't cry for me Carrie Bradshaw

Should I be a bitch and ruin the ending? I saw "Sex and the City". Although I'm sure all the "junkies" like me have also. I was salivating in line at 7:25 p.m. two cosmopolitans under waiting for my fix. CARRIE, I'm dying out here... do you marry the guy? How long can you keep me waiting...I'm an addict. (Btw, it is the chickiest of chick flicks; do not bring a date)! I had my fingers crossed for her and assumed if the movie went according to childhood fairy tales she would get her prince. Right Mom? And Mom, in hindsight I wish we had cuddled up with "The Denial of Death" and "The Bell Jar"; much better preparation for the future. The Prince Charming myth has got to go. Have they banned "Cinderalla" from little girl's reading lists yet? If the Religious Right really wanted to rid the culture of immoral literature they should head for the fairy tale section of the library and leave "Catcher in the Rye" alone. Little girls everywhere listen up... there are just not enough Mr. Bigs to go around. The gene pool is small and they're not in the Neiman's Christmas catalogue.

I was trained to find a prince. Lucky me. I hope I'm a dying breed. Jewish Princess boot camp was not a reality based plan. Oh,it wasn't rigorous ...unless shopping tires you out or trips to the dressmaker are stressful. I didn't have to learn to make the bed, or do laundry. Ironing?...never. Cooking wasn't on the roster, nor was cleaning. There was no discussion of a career; supporting yourself was a huge "no, no". Then poof! like a dream come true Prince Charming would appear with his giant check book and save the day...training's over. I get a maid and Dad is off the financial hook. I failed Princess 101, twice. Mom, I wish I had learned to change the oil, and use jumper cables.

I will reveal Carrie and I came to different ends. A few generations behind me, she at least had a career, although I doubt she can jump start a car. Proudly I now can check the oil, and know what jumper cables look like. I feel less shaky having gotten my "Sex and the City" fix . Sadly I left the movie with the realization that I need more shoes. Can you change the oil in high heels?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about changing the oil but I can certainly jump start a car with the jumper cables I have in the back of my Jeep and I'm sure I can do it in my Manolo's. You and I had our chance at "living happily ever after in the land of unlimited funds. We both failed Princess 101.

Anonymous said...

I CAN JUST SEE THE SEQUEL IN TEN YEARS. MIRANDA IS LIKE TOTALLY GAY, CHARLOTTE IS A RICH WIDOW WHO DRINKS TOO MUCH, SAMANTHA IS STILL SCREWING LITTLE BOYS AND CARRIE IS ANCHORING THE CBS EVENING NEWS WITH CARRIE BRADSHAW. AND, THEY ALL STILL LOOK GREAT. SHOES SHMOOS...IT'S ALL ABOUT THEM BABES.