Sunday, February 17, 2008

Prune Danish

I'm sure there are alot of people happier than I am , but it's hard to believe they're all Danish. Yep, it's true, Denmark is the world's happiest country. It seems impossible to me as they have snow. And it's cold there. Why aren't they miserable? Maybe weather hasn't been elevated to the status of terrorism by the news, as it has here. Perhaps they don't realize they're freezing because a failed drama major turned weatherperson hasn't screamed, "a storm is coming", over and over and over. "Shut up already", I scream back and I was an English major. This is not a sign of happiness is it? Hey Danish people what about Hamlet? He wasn't cheerful . In fact one might call him rather morose and tortured. Are you not factoring him in? Has the play been confiscated from your libraries and banned from school curriculums? I suggest you replace it with "Death of a Salesman" and feel my pain.

According to the news, Danish people don't aspire to the "Great American Dream". This I'm sure is a mood booster as it really only leads to perpetual dissatisfaction. Seriously, without the expectation of a six figure income, Viking stove, S Class Mercedes and whirlwind weekends in Paris, waking up in a small one bedroom apartment might be fun. I wonder if Americans would be happier if we weren't obsessed with erectile dysfunction, flat abs, wrinkles, and perpetual youth. BTW is there a woman alive who would feel delighted if her husband/lover had an erection that lasted more than four hours?! Let me know if you're out there. Danes also have royalty, so lovely and polite... perhaps this is a mood lifter. We have Britney Spears, so tasteless and embarassing.

Danish people eat sardines. It just so happens I like them also. Maybe I should forget the afternoon mocha skim latte and dig into a sandwich of those slippery little creatures to lift my spirits.

No comments: