Monday, February 9, 2009

Economists in the Mist

Crap. Just when I thought it was safe to be stupid and oblivious, along comes another political bru ha ha. Didn't I just vote? The election's over, I wanted to have friends again. Peace and love dude. But no, the battle lines are drawn, guns raised and it's every ARMCHAIR ECONOMIST for himself. Opinions are flying, and fingers pointing. They're slinging words fast and furiously, "inflation, stagflation, recession, depression, New Deal, old deal, no deal... my head's spinning off. "Quick hide it's a Keynesian"! And trust me I have no freaking idea who or what that is....I'm just hiding. "Uh oh a monetarist is in our midst"! Again, "a what"? And do I need to be vaccinated? Everyone has an opinion about the economy and they're pissy, pissy,pissy. Hey, like "can't we all just get along"?

No. I watched the Sunday morning talk shows and at the risk of never having friends again, I agreed with everyone: Newt Gingrich, Robert Reich, Claire Shipman, and George Will. Btw, I have no clue what they were talking about and I might have had a fever. Just out of curiousity, has anyone seen Hank Paulson lately? The little trickster, I bet he's hiding out with Rummy. They sure were fun. Thanks boys, you did a heck of a job.

It's 2009, I wanted peace and quiet, a political vacuum to call my own. I longed to watch Leave It to Beaver re-runs, The Brady Bunch, and have a bake sale, but I can't because... I'm not feeling the love.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the economists! Let's all get vaccinated! Too funny! TJK

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about not getting love, you won't be getting money either, none of us will. because the boys in DC forgot to ask our economic partners if they were willing to loan us 150Billion dollars per week each week of 2009. The Chinese have said sorry, we need to cut back our 500Billion loans to you to 150Billion. Germany just got turned down also. what do you think will happen when no one lends us the money they have just appropriated. you ain't seen nothing yet.

Anonymous said...

I agree it is all giberish. Keynesians and monitarists and whatever.
On the other hand I was watching some kind of a talk show from Florida this morning and the host was talking about economics in a language everyone could understand. I'm sure they understood because they kept applauding and shouting.

He said stufF like "This problem can't be fixed from the top down. We all have to pull in our spending and make it work." And, "Our generation has inherited this from 8 years of mismanagement and we pick it up and go forward with it." And, "The country doesn't want more of the same." "Many in Washington are only concerned with statistics and numbers. This is about people. It's about mothers who can't afford milk for their children - or anybody else's children."

On other topics he said, "We can't leave education out of the mix. And, this is about jobs and building roads and bridges."
I tell you it was clear and it was great. I understood everything he said I just don't know what it means.