Friday, February 13, 2009

Confessions of a non Shopaholic

Isn't it ironic that the movie "Confessions of a Shopaholic" is in the theaters at this moment? Is this reverse stimulus package thinking ? Hmmmm. Let's face it boys and girls shopping is out, out, out. Getting caught in a store is down right embarassing and a social faux pas. Quick duck into a dressing room or under a rack of dresses marked down 95% if you see anyone who looks remotely familiar. Who wants to get caught with a bunch of blouses and a credit card in their hand? Not me. It's become unacceptable to buy almost anything except toilet paper. And that gives me the newfangled environmental anxiety ...is it green , biodegradable, chemically pure, unscented, rescented, never been scented, landfill friendly, made from unendangered plant life, yadayadayada . Whew, times are taxing my brain as well as wallet.

I for one am grateful for the shopping hiatus. It takes a lot of pressure off my wardrobe. I am a sneak anti-shopper. I pretend to rifle through sale racks with the girlfriends, or talk about fashion, but I'm not looking or listening. My sister and I devised a method of shopping I fondly call "drive-by shopping". It's cheap, time saving and requires no schlepping. Sadly, I've read there are undercover buyers in our midst...women deviously shoving their pricey purchases into bags from the grocery store so as not to be labeled frivilous. Naughty naughty!

I'd like to personally thank all those fun mortgage brokers, bankers, traders, fed chiefs, and crackerjack economists for helping someone like me be in vogue. Wow, and to think all it took was RL to stand for "risky loans" and not Ralph Lauren!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shame, shame Gail Maria. Only pretending to shop. It's un-american bordering on anti-american which is almost worse then semi-american. Earlier this year the government gave money to everybody who doesn't have any, and said "go froth and shop" (that's not a typo Bush can't pronounce that word either). Did you pout your government money in the bank?

The government is shopping. The reactivate the economy bill is loaded with things they want. Twenty million for cars for federal employees now and 1.2 billion for hybrids when they can agree on standards standards for them. Since there are so many federal employees they will probably put in an order for cars built in Russia. That's where you get the most cars for the buck. Insiders have it that there are two in consideration. The ZAZ, it's the synonim for poor comfort and performance, Before that they were interested in ther Moskvitch f11 but found that it never entered production due to lack of money. Anyway who cares Nancy Pelosi is getting a caddi.

You forgot "politically correct" in your list of attributes of products - 6 points off your blog.

I wonder if a store detective - or a pretend one - could catch you rifling through sale racks and arrest you for pretend shoplifting.