Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Woodstock ; the wonder years

"By the time we got to Woodstock we were half a million strong and everywhere was a song and a celebration". (Joni Mitchell "Woodstock")

Crap, the 40th anniversary of Woodstock; am I that old? I just glanced in a mirror and the answer is "yes" and "ugh". I am growing my hair long again, and absolutely, I think middle aged women can have long hair no matter what they say on the morning talk shows. I probably won't be wearing bell bottoms any time soon regardless of their being back in style. Now that's a really bad look over 50 and has anyone noticed how expensive blue jeans are? I could have a case of a lovely Sauvignon Blanc for the same price. The wine wins.

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll baby, remember!? Was Woodstock the "good old days"? l'll be honest and trust me this is hard to confess but I would no longer want to be drenching wet for 3 days, sleeping on the hard ground, peeing in a bush, and stuck in traffic for 12 hours even if Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin came back from the dead. Whoa, is there any of the hippy chick left in me? I recently spent two days and searched every street fair between Seattle and Portland for a tie dyed hoodie. Hippy or slave to fashion? As for drugs....pass the Advil. Or is your drug of choice Aleve? And for God's sake, turn the music down. I like quiet. Wow, I've become a nerd!

As for sex...mercy! Men, pull in those stomachs and stop wearing ankle length pants. Not a seductive look. Lordy those hippy boys were cute: pony tails, flat abs, low riding jeans... and they could hear. It didn't take much imagination to picture having sex with one of them. Now I sit across from a date at dinner and visualizing sex ruins a perfectly good piece of Chilean sea bass. Quick a drink! There's obviously not much hippy left in this chick. Peace and love.

3 comments:

laurel w said...

I can relate. I didn't really do the hippie thing the first time around, so the occasional scoop of Cherry Garcia is about as close as I'm willing to get these days.

Funny post.

Anonymous said...

Even though I lived in New York I missed the Woodstock thing. Actually I thought Woodstock was in California.

Now about those fat male stomachs. You are something of an anomaly in mature women.

I also did some dating in the last 7 years through Match. I had to listen to more grandchildren stories than any man should. They were from women who didn't bother to exercise until it was too late and they ate everything from soup to deep fried beer battered shrimp to the nuts on the bar while waiting for a table. Sometime during the evening they would announce that their family had a glandular disorder where just a little bit of food added a lot of weight.

How did I get there? It was in the pictures. They must have said "I'm going on Match. Where are my high school graduation pictures.

Dr. Ruth formally known as Viking Jen said...

OMG! I would have given anything to be able to be at Woodstock!!! I was 9 years old, why didn't you take me? Why Gail? I was your little cousin (Still am) oh well, one more thing I missed about not being older in the 60’s.

Being a Hippy? Honey if you don't have it in your heart then you were never a hippy, or at least not deep deep in your heart.. Peace Sistah find that Hippy in your... "Peace, love and pass the joint" my favorite line when I was 18 ... I've never lost the Hippy in me, no I don't beat the drums and wear a bandana on my forehead or do political demonstrations but I do have 5 peace-sign belt buckles that I wear all the time, not all 5 at once but give me what they had at Woodstock and I bet you I would wear them all at once and feel GREAT!

I love Rock & Roll; Janis Joplin, what I would give to see her in concert? I'll tell you what I would give, I would give my virginity away, wait a minute I think there is such a thing as reconstructive virginity right? I will have to check how much that costs, it's been gone for several decades, but I can always fake it, I used to be good at that till I found out that having the real thing was way better, that’s when I found the hilly in me lol.

Back to Woodstock, mud, music, drugs, vomit, 1/2 a million people, alcohol, rain, more rain, traffic to get out, baby I would do it in a heart beat... Don't get me wrong, I am no longer into drugs but boy howdy would I love to be part of the one single time when all of those crazy things were going on and it was safe...

To celebrate the 40 years of Woodstock I think I will go put on my tie-die shirt, my rainbow bandana on my forehead, my bell-bottom jeans with my biggest peace sign belt (BTW The peace sign just turned 50 years old) put on some patchouli perfume on, light up some incense and candles, grab my guitar, put all my bracelets on and put on my CD of Janis Joplin and then Jimmy Hendrix... Too bad I don't smoke weed anymore, which would fit right in with the celebration.... Oh I have a bottle of Jack Daniels; did they drink JD at Woodstock?

Oh and Gail you are not a nerd honey, you just need to reach into your inter-self and find that Hippy in you.. Is there. I know it’s there..Come out; come out wherever you are...
Peace Please!