Tuesday, July 15, 2008

For Richer or for richer

Wedding ceremonies are not for the faint of heart. I just went to my nephew's wedding and although it was in an idyllic setting with a handsome groom, gorgeous bride and a bunch of hot/fabulous looking attendants, the vows were a bit of a downer. Whoa, those are some mighty weighty questions. Truthfully they're a little frightening and not for the ambivalent. Does anyone really think seriously about the answers? Everyone seems to just blurt out "I do". There's never a, "let me go home and give it some real thought , but go ahead with the cocktail hour". According to the divorce rate "I'm not sure" would be a good response, or "huh"? Or even, "you talkin' to me"?

"Do you take this person for richer or for poorer"? Come on be honest, no one wants poorer. Especially the young trophy bride with the old guy, she needs the question rephrased "do you take this man for richer or for richer"? She definitely has to have an out clause if things get poorer. Ah, but alas, he's not rich and completely stupid, there's the pre-nup. I wish they'd read that at the ceremony. "In sickness and in health"? Now that's a little morbid. Who gets to be healthy? And is there good medical insurance? It's a long time until Medicare and what really are the chances of a universal health care bill getting out of Congress? Oh man, and then there's the pact sealer..."as long as you both shall live". Well that's made liars out of half of us, hasn't it? I confess, I've lied, twice and I consider myself honest. How do you think that makes me feel? Single, very, very single.

I may have to stay away from weddings for a while. They confuse and give me a headache. "I do... I don't... I'm not sure...Maybe... I think I do for now but maybe not later..." all reasonable answers. Until I sort this out no marriage proposals please.

No comments: