Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Want to go to Summer Camp!

It's no fair there's no summer camp for adults. I miss it. It made getting dressed in the morning easy - just pull on my Tamarak or Sunshine Valley t-shirt and a pair of shorts and voila I was ready to go. Now I stare at my closet, can't find anything to wear and realize if I don't go shopping soon it will be winter. I loved waiting for the big yellow bus to pull up to the corner toting my lunch bag filled with yet another peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Mom wasn't very clever with the food, but she did spend endless time braiding my hair or putting it into pigtails. I however, was very particular and they had to be perfectly even or I'd stamp my foot and whine. I tortured her. The camp bus was much more fun than my bus ride up Michigan Ave. No one sings.

At camp the fun never stopped. I learned the dog paddle at Sunshine Valley which was not efficient but at least I didn't drown. It was Tamarak where I learned to swim better but no one could ever get me to dive. I was a chicken shit and stood at the side of the pool contemplating my death. I liked arts and craft hour, which I can't find time for anymore and don't know where to buy crafts. Making pink and blue lanyard key chains in the "square" stitch was my favorite. The "circle" stitch nearly drove me to drink as a 9 yr. old. I couldn't master it and again did a lot of whining. I loved horseback riding and never wanted to get off the horse. Yep, I whined to stay on. I think the counselors hated me. I sucked at archery. The arrow was forever falling off the bow. When I could get it to fly it landed one foot away. My adult camp would not include archery. It will however include daily S'mores. OMG I loved them. I tried to make them at home but Mom didn't like me setting sticks on fire in the kitchen as the marshmellows dripped into the burner on the stove. I didn't whine, I ran!

It's almost summer and there will not be a big yellow bus at the corner coming to take me away for a day of fun fun fun. Crap. I burst into a camp song once in a while but stop when I see people cringing. I've bought the ingredients for S'mores but worry about setting the house on fire. I do need a new keychain however and vow to spend the summer drinking and mastering the "circle" stitch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what are your favorite lanyard lace colors? I will bring you some and you can make a new key chain. meanwhile, try sitting on the lawn at Ravinia, it will remind you of the late night campfires.

Anonymous said...

There is a separate "twitter" for camp counselors and they are still talking about the kid, with the long hair who whined all the time.

They accepted it as normal. However, the kid would sing occasionally and apparently that shattered every piece of pottery in the kitchen - not glass or china, thick heavy pottery.

What is lanyard? The parents of the kids in my neighborhood, Inwood on the Hudson, sold the last of the family heirlooms so no one went to camp. We did enjoy a dip in the East River, however but only at high tide when the sewers were not being emptied.

Archery might have been nice but our counselors discouraged us from playing with pointed sticks. They wore blue suits, had big blunt sticks and they beat the crap out of us.

Our summer camp was probably more fun. Summers are always fun but soon it's fall and the teachers are let out of their asylums with enough pills to last until next summer. Except, of course for the ones with the wide eyes that refused to go "out there" any more. "Miss Brandenbath won't be back this year kids. They still can't get her to stop throwing excrement at the Sunday visitors."