Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine's Day vs. New Year's Eve

Uh oh Valentine's Day is looming. I have the feeling of dread much like I do on New Year's Eve. Are there two more pressure packed days in the year than February 14th and December 31st? I'm supposed to be happy and also have a date. Crap. With only 48 hours to go my anxiety builds. I think this feeling of dread started in grammar school. I'd have a 500 pack of tiny little valentines and spend hours addressing them to my friends . We'd hang highly decorated bags on our desks and watched with baited breath as the teacher distributed the precious envelopes. "Oh no so far I only have three and Barbara has ten!" I needed more cards in my bag or I'd die a thousand deaths. Isn't this too much pressure for a girl of eight? It got worse. What if Jimmy didn't send me one card and I sent him nine? I loved him and what if he didn't love me? I'd have to quit 3rd grade. I'd be humiliated. I don't think I knew what that word meant but you get the idea. No wonder I'm still a wreck.

There is one thing I like about Valentine's Day, the candy . I used to love getting the tasteless but colorful tiny hearts with sayings on them like "you're nice", and "you're so cute." Now I'm afraid I'm not nice, or cute and afraid one of the little hearts could break my teeth. I opt for chocolates with soft centers - ixnay to caramel, nuts and toffee. I know my Mom will send me a big frilly expensive card that barely fits in the mail box so by the time I pull it out it's practically in shreds and I spend 15 minutes piecing it back together. Regardless, I'm relieved I now only expect one card and not dozens. 

With the pressure of the 14th rising and my happiness quotient dropping I decide to spend Valentine's day under cover and ruminate about the humiliation of New Year's Eve.
BTW I finished 3rd grade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must like the candy. One famous holiday you conned 2 4 year olds out of theirs. I didn't get your card this year. Wait, I didn't get one last year either. You sent Jimmy 10 - man.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it out of the 3rd grade and lived to re-evaluate your expectations for the V day. You might as well come out from under the covers and get your dog. He doesn't know where the "covers" are so he's looking for you in the tall grass.

BTW your 9 cards were a total waste. Jimmy got 15 from Bruce. Now they are living large in LA. And, Barbara sent the 10 to herself.

Don't you get it. V day is a cruel joke from HallMark.