Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cut Me Off in Line and I'll Kick Your Ass

Uh oh it's really going to get crowded in your local plastic surgeon's office. I foresee lots of pushing, shoving, and bruising to get to the receptionist's desk as the number of men going for cosmetic procedures is increasing exponentially. Hard to believe because the culture always embraced the lines and wrinkles of men as dignified, handsome, or nicely weathered. Ha! If a woman is "nicely weathered" she's considered a body double for the Wicked Witch from "The Wizard of Oz." As for women looking dignified or handsome from aging, when was the last time Donald Trump or Rupert Murdoch married a dignified or handsome mature looking woman? Catch my drift kids? I admit I am surprised when I look in the mirror and have to stop myself from sobbing. I seem to have been replaced by some alternate form of life. "Mirror mirror on the wall what the hell happened?"


I am also surprised however, that men are beginning to get panicky when they look in the mirror. Are they finally realizing those jowels, lines, and turkey necks aren't nicely weathered and worn features but kinda scary? Welcome to my world little fellas! And FYI gym memberships and an exercise regimen does not help from the neck up. I see more and more burly boys in the cosmetic department as Calvin Klein et al are raking in the dough with the promise of age defying lotions and potions "especially" for men. Right. It's all the same snake oil darlins'. But why shouldn't your Neiman's bill be as big as mine?


The truth is needles filled with botox, plumper uppers, or a sharp scalpel and a hopefully steady surgeon's hand are really the only way to get rid of wear and tear. Personally I love that men are becoming afraid that "weathered" really means old looking and the standard of beauty they apply to women also applies to themselves. Lord have mercy, it does seem only fair. So little buddies save your $$$ because youth and beauty isn't cheap and whoever shoves me on the way to the receptionist's desk gets their ass kicked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got news you. It isn't about youth and beauty. If it was we could all put our wallets away because that's something money can't buy. Maybe you can get rid of a wrinkle or a chin or even two and that's fine. Not what makes people look old even in their mid fifties but no harm in trimming up a bit. Even with that our faces change and we look older. Not long after the ears and nose get larger. People who start breaking their noses and snipping their ears are just obsessed. They are the ones with that plastic look. Like they got a face lift.... or three.

Then the body says a lot about us. Men like to build muscle and women like to slim down. However, if they have not taken care of themselves, both body and mind, it's probably too late when they realize the results. I see them in the gym often they have color coordinated, extra large workout duds and the ever popular water bottle. It's a shame, they stayed too long at the dance or on the couch.

It's also a shame that we pay so much attention to perceived age and if there is a wrinkle or a sag - so long other person. I know women with wrinkles who are active, interesting, youthful and in excellent physical shape. They know more, are more interesting and have more stamina than their youthful competitors. The wrinkles don't matter.

Final analysis balance in mind and body count and it has to be a part of our life for a lot more than the late years.

I think your blogs are fun and I'll bet you are too.