Monday, May 4, 2009

I'm "twitterish", are you?

HELP! I'm "twittering"! I know, I know , a month ago I thought it was a neurological condition or a bird in detox. See , people over 50 can change? I have no freaking idea what I'm doing but I'm twittering as fast as I can. And crap, I have one more password to add to the other 150 I can't remember , all because a 26 year old girl at a cocktail party told me I absolutely had to "twitter". Really? I thought I had to have another drink. It's the only way to meet, greet , move, shake and promote yourself these days she insisted. Ixnay to Facebook, Twitter was the path to hipdom and apparently salvation. I'm thinkin' she's over caffeinated and needed a cocktail, and she's thinkin' I'm from an era when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I was already on Facebook, a radical move given my technological fog. Yea me! Sadly it was a complete bust. I had no clue how to join in the folly. I was stumped. Only three people made me their "friend" which I think is the point but I'm still not sure. I felt unpopular and lonely. Was the internet high school hell? Then Todd suggested I join Open Salon.com to participate in a more intellectual type banter. Trust me, no one banters... they drone on and on and on about themselves. "The short version people...I don't have the time or patience for 17 up close and personal paragraphs about your latest thought". If I wanted a really long arduous story I'd read Tolstoy.

Now where Todd and cocktail party girl? After three twitters in three days the thrill is gone. FYI: If you need to find me I'll be out roaming the Earth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was that your picture or are you just calling someone a horse"s ass? I used to date a girl with a hind end like that but for some reason it didn't work out. Oh well.

Now for twittering. We have emailing, snail mailing, blogging, facebooking, Open Saloning and Twittering. We also have house phones and cell phones and camera phones. How much can we possibly say to other human beings. We don't have enough content to fill all those channels.

This is like the news and broadcasting. Radio and television stations had information and entertainment programs. The news was treated as a just one more type of information. No one ever advertised during it. Then the news became entertainment and everything is being reported by everybody all day and all night - MaryAnne. We have hundreds tv stations and with internet radio a bunch more on radio.

There is not enough going on in the world to fill all the time on all those stations so everyone repeats it over and over and over.

The Swine flu is cranking down already with almost no deaths in this country, as opposed to the millions who die every year from other strains of flu. For the past week, however you would think the BUBONIC PLAGUE was back. Hell when there were only 20 cases and no hospitalizations in the US even the president was on the news telling us it was horrible but not to worry Washington was keeping up with it.

Information is supposed to help people.
With all the ground clutter in the air how do we know when something important is happening.

You think these comments are a little over the top?

dogismycopilot said...

hey, sweetie. i read your post. it was very little about OS. nothing about the circle jerks and, really, not everyone goes on and on. there are some very good posts. you could at least read some of mine. :) the fathers and forgiveness one has gotten a lot of good feedback.

i have no desire to twitter or facebook. actually i was on twitter before it hit so big. i may try it again. but i can't even keep up with my friends on OS.

take good care and love love love

Dr. Ruth formally known as Viking Jen said...

Sorry it's taken so long for me to give you my input on your blogs.. Work, girlfriend, and a addiction to Facebook... I am NOT and will NOT get into Tweeter, not for any other reason but the fact that (even though I do not have an addictive personality) I will be addicted to Tweeter as I am to Myspace and Facebook, I will put Tweeter on hold... Meanwhile, you can tell me all about it..
All I sing is "toot sweet Toot sweet the only candy that I will eat" I think that's how it goes, you know Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?... So Tweet all you want darling, I will play on facebook and catch up with your blogger. Tweetly do..