Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Jewish Princess Blues

Why didn't I take auto mechanics in school? I just watched a friend put a new engine in his truck...it was un freaking believable! I was awestruck. Tools, wires, cables, nuts, bolts, screws were everywhere, and he knew exactly what to do. Back in high school I was consumed with "what will I wear today?" and couldn't be distracted by transmissions or carburators. Instead, I indulged in the labor intensive task of searching my closet for another new fashion combo. "Nope, wore that 3 days ago", or "Mom, why isn't my blue print blouse ironed yet"? Yes, I whined when I said it, and yes, I arrived at college unable to iron. I couldn't do anything except match clothes. Learning how to change a tire or the oil would have been a whole lot handier and cheaper.

"Handy" people are a veritable religious experience to me. I'm dumbstruck by a person on a ladder with a tool in their hand. I want a tool too! Ixnay to the ladder, I'm afraid of heights. Am I hopeless? Or is it genetic? Perhaps I'm not predisposed to re-wire a lamp or fix a faucet. My indestructable and tenacious Jewish Princess gene must have gone on a search and destroy mission for all my "handy" chromosones. I have however, defiantly mastered jiggling the handle of a running toilet. Oh, hang on a sec, I can take off the top of the tank and look in.... I don't know what to do next, but it feels like an accomplishment. Eventually the irrefutable Princess gene prevails and I call a repairman. Curses!

I stare longingly at my friend's tools and wonder what it all means. I pick up a wrench and feel the urge to fix something. The urge passes. What should I wear today?

2 comments:

Dr. Ruth formally known as Viking Jen said...

Well Jewish Princess I know what you mean.. I have several friends (men and women) who even if they are NOT Jewish they sure act like Jewish princess. I love mechanical stuff, I even own two tool boxes and one pure leather tool belt, yes I do and I love it...I really think that when anyone gets a drivers license for the first time they should have a course on how to change a tire, battery and oil.. Simple things you know?.

10 years ago a friend of mine bought a $1.00 historical home in Dallas, needed LOTS of work, she asked me if I could help.. I did the roof, the floors, the walls, tore down a couple fo walls and built her a walk-in closet that Ivana Trump would love to have. Put new lamps, etc etc etc.. I can do all that stuff and I love it.. So I have a question for myself.. Why the hell am I in Sales and Recruiting when I should be wearing my jeans, boots, t-shirt, tool belt and fix broken things? Why? Heck I need to think about that.. And BTW if your car needs a new water pump or a new transmission, call me, I can do that..
I am Jewish but a princess I'm not, never have been but I grew up with two of them, my mother and my sister and I think they rule the Jewish Princess Title... Oh and by the way, if you get a broken nail I can fix that too...DUCK TAPE ANYONE?...

You should stick to selling your old clothes, I think fixing a sink would make you stress too much.. Let someone that knows fix it...

Your Handy Woman in Dallas

Dr. Ruth formally known as Viking Jen said...

BTW I love the pix you are adding to yoru blog.. I am proud of you, you are becoming one tech guru,,