Sunday, August 21, 2011

Summer Sundays Suck

It happens every week. It doesn't seem fair. It's Sunday again. I'm a bad Sunday person. In fact I hate Sunday - especially in the summer. Fall, Winter, and Spring Sundays at least have good TV: football, basketball, Desperate Housewives, Dexter etc. Summer has 150 baseball games and re-runs. This feels so wrong. In the past I spent Sundays reading the New York Times. That was until they raised the price to $500. I exaggerate but you catch my drift. The local paper takes under 10 minutes to read so I have 11 hours and 50 minutes left until I go to sleep. Now what? I also used to watch the morning political talk shows but by Sunday I can't handle any more bad news. I'd rather throw things at the TV than listen to the jabberwocky spewed from the mouths of pundits who obviously have no life.

Growing up I recall the "Sunday drive." We'd all jump in the car but I have no idea where we went. I remember spending Sunday at Kiddie Land but was afraid of the roller coaster and cried. Sunday at the bowling alley sounds familiar. Remember bowling? I was queen of the gutter ball and hated the shoes but it filled the afternoon. Miniature golf was another time killer yet tried my patience . Where was the damn hole? Proudly and sadly I think I set a record for highest score on the tiny course. I'd also hang with my girlfriends uptown at Leo and Lenny's Delicatessen. We drank chocolate phosphates, ate mounds of greasy french fries and tried to pick up boys. I now refer to those Sundays as "the good old days."

That brings me to this Sunday. I'm too big for Kiddie Land and might scare small children if I get in line with them, bowling would hurt my already compromised rotator cuff, miniature golf is too humiliating, and hanging at the delicatessen to pick up boys now means old men. I've finished my morning coffee and have NASCAR on my TV screen with the sound off. I think I'll drive to Oregon.

3 comments:

stefanie said...

I love it. I absolutely love it. You made my Sunday. I'm not only smiling I had a little laugh there. You are amazing. How come I was never here? How come I didn't know? Well now I do so instead of gonepausal now I'm thinking I've Gone-demential. You need to coach me to laugh at myself. I had no idea, you are good really good. You ride, you write, your on the radio, your theatrical, anything else I should know about you that will impress me?

gail maria said...

Thanks Stefanie you made MY Sunday!

mouse said...

Nobody made mine but I enjoyed reading your blog this morning. Didn't know about the rotator cuff. Sorry.

In my adventure looking at horses I came across a 15 year old jumper the woman has to give up looks good but not for me. He has not been jumped in the past year because he does not like to go high anymore. The woman cannot ford to keep him. He's on youtube "Debra and Hey Baby".

Anyway keep smiling and keep writing we all enjoy it.