Thursday, June 9, 2011

Is My Hair on Fire?

I am a weather phobe. There is not much about a weather report that doesn't scare the bejesus out of me. I considered the Channel 5 weatherman in Chicago a mortal enemy as he seemed to take joy in meteorological disaster. He always smiled when five feet of white white snow was headed my way. I was frantic realizing I could be trapped inside for days/weeks while he was grinning and collecting a pay check. Just once couldn't he feel my pain, burst into tears and run around screaming? He and I had to break-up as it was a dead end relationship. I headed for Palm Springs, CA to find weather love.

Ahhh balmy dry days and breezy idyllic nights were mine. The weatherman smiled because he reported good news. "Another day of 75 degrees. And the weekend looks just as pleasant." At last a relationship that had potential. I was anxiety free, no more weather trauma for this girl. Or so I thought. It's June and summer is coming. Ominous sounding numbers are on people's lips: 110, 115, 120 degrees. Words like "You can't touch the steering wheel without burning your hands" "The pool is too hot to swim." "I play golf at 4:00a.m." "You better slather your skin with cream or you'll look like a reptile by September. " I hate reptiles. I hate 4:00a.m. At 120 degrees can my hair catch on fire? And what about my Yellow Lab,"Beefy Boy?" How will he walk on boiling, bubbling pavement? He'll have to wear shoes.

It's inevitable, triple digit temperatures are coming and I feel my weather anxiety rising. I'm beginning to doubt the concept that "dry" heat is better. What does that really mean? I'll hardly notice my face is in flames? I can only conclude that "heat" is "snow" spelled differently.

4 comments:

Doris Gallan said...

Aaah yes. The dry heat of Southern California! It is actually easier to take than the humidity of, say, Chicago. Just drape something over your steering wheel or put a cloth wheel cover on it. Find a swimming pool with some shade: that's why so many of them have awnings or trellis. and stay out of the sun between 10:00 and 3:00 p.m. Oh, and moisturize, moisturize,moisturize.

Doris, The Boomer Traveler

gail maria said...

I've become a moisturizing machine - I'm down right slippery! And am desperately trying to un-tan.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what's funnier - your blogs or your titles to your blogs.

Anyway when it comes to summer heat I agree with Doris. If it ever stops raining and warms up in Chicago we'll be breathing mosquitoes. One year it was so bad they were actually opening up my nasal passages, which, incidentally were closed by the pollen from grass and trees.

Then there is the humidity, making your shirt and pants stick to your skin. The sweat stops your watch, burns your eyes and slides your glasses right off you nose. It's not a pretty sight.

Heat is not snow spelled differently. Snow is the stuff that prevents people from walking normally and even feeling their feet.

I will say this - in order to have perfectly one would have to move to 257 every year and lug their wardrobe with them.

Bye the way what does "ternsat" mean? I have to type that to get these comments published.

gail maria said...

Anonymous - Perhaps you should see a doctor or pest control about your nasal passages. It sounds serious and kinda gross.