Thursday, July 15, 2010

To Tattoo or Not to Tattoo?

"To tattoo or not to tattoo?" that is the question. Everywhere I go and everyone I see has one or more. Not just a teenie tiny picture of a daisy on their shoulder, but arms , legs, and torsos covered in colorful ink. Who needs to go to The Art Institute? It's cheaper to stand on Michigan Ave. and look at the walking people paintings. Truthfully I'm kinda jealous. Or am I? That's another good question. I haven't seen see an 80 year old woman with a pirate on her upper arm yet but I bet she's out there. Maybe I could convince my Mom to get a tattoo. She is a fashionista and determined even at 99 to keep up with the most current trends. Mom could be persuaded especially if they had a fancy little tattoo counter at Neimans. Maybe we could have a mother/daughter tattoo experience and then a nice lunch.

It seems very hip and cool to be one of the tattooed generation. I used to be hip and cool but it only involved long hair, bell bottoms and a joint, not ink applied with a needle! Oh God I'm a needle phobe. Do they have defibrillators at tattoo parlors? And what would I want inscribed and where on my body would I want it? My head is about to explode from all the questions. "Does anyone know where I left my cell phone?" might be a good choice for a tattoo as I would be hip and know where I put the phone . Ixnay to a flower image as I don't need a further reminder that my plants are always on the brink of death. "Stand up straight" would be a tribute to Mom as would "Do you like your hair that color?"

It might be fun to be one of the tattooed folks as my hipness level dropped along with my hormones . I am worried however at how well an image will hold up as my arms wrinkle and sag.  Regardless of the exactness of the original image do they all ultimately become abstract paintings? Before I do anything I need to check out the 80 old woman with the pirate on her arm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should go ahead and get at least one tattoo. You could get a hand tattooed on your upper buttocks. Pretty original eh? And cool.

Removing them is really easy. One method is dermabrasion - skin sanding. It removes the top and middle layers of the skin so you should get your ass frozen first so there is less blood.

Another is excision - cutting it off and sewing the surrounding skin together - easy as darning a sock. Larger ones (like a hand) require more incisions and a skin graft.

Another is laser it off. blue, black and red fade faster, like only $1,000. Green - not so good. Any other color and your are totally screwed.

But it's all for art.

eloisethedog said...

I think a tatoo is too predictable and definitely of the look of 'trying to hard' on anyone of 35, and since everyone ages....but Henna designs are always cool.