Saturday, September 29, 2007

Wine Crisis Day 2

Day two and this drinking and breast cancer study is still on my mind. Is it really true? Or how true is it really? After wrting my initial reaction yesterday I decided to do a little of my own research, or more specifically, conduct a poll . This is serious shit Mr. Researcher and probably affects every woman in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd world. Today I open the paper hoping for more information, yet it seems the media has moved on to "Given Few Coupons to Clip, Bargain Hunters Snub Macy's." That's important. Whew,I feel better.

I brought the subject up with every friend I talked to yesterday. A few had no clue what I was talking about; I should have kept my mouth shut and let them drink anxiety free, BUT my poll begged polling. Sue laughed at me "Hell are you kidding? I'm going out drinking." My sister, was incredulous at the news but unlike me didn't fret "Whatever, I'm not going to think about it". Betsy tried to crunch the percentages with me. "Now who was the control group? Is it women who haven't been pregnant before 30 etc., etc." I forgot who posed, "That means every French woman would have breast cancer. " A rationale I liked.

I went into a bar last night, ok, I needed a drink to calm my news jangled nerves ,and to see if any women were there and IF they were drinking. Maybe the bartender wouldn't serve me in an attempt to save my life. Nope. Happily handed me a $10 glass of wine (another issue entirely). No medical researchers came over and ripped the glass from my hand or any of the other women who were drinking. They all looked happy, unconcerned, no statistics making their heads spin. Maybe I should just impose the "tomorrow is another day" rule so I can move on to today's news and "snub Macy's". I declare my poll over until further notice. I didn''t order another glass of wine but only because I'm too cheap.

No comments: